Friday, May 27, 2011

Friends Featured: Jake Yates

My name is Jake Yates. I am a student at the University of Utah studying Social Work. I first discovered wood turning when I met my father-in-law. He is a skilled wood turner and has been kind enough to teach me this skill and also use his incredible shop! Wood turning has been a fantastic way for me to relieve stress from school especially because turning involves a lot of body mechanics and control. I am still a novice and have much to learn but it is incredibly gratifying to see what you can make out of an ordinary log!
This is quite the talent. I think. He looks like a natural right?
Here are a few pictures of pieces that he has done.
Beautiful bowl!
An avid Harry Potter fan... (me too wait till you see what he sent me!!!) Sometimes, I am amazed and how you can take a piece of wood and turn it into this!Jake is very talented in fact you should check out his blog! Wood Turners Apprentice
This is what I got in the mail the other day! I love it and it looks awesome. So happy that I finally have a real wand because most people know that we used black straws as out wands for Halloween last year when we were the Potters. Jake you are awesome keep up the good work!

1 comment:

Whit said...

Thanks Kell for entering. I knew you would like this one. I always remember you having cute nails. and this just makes it so much easier. Love ya girl thank you for the support I need it right now. I feel like my blog is in a rut and i gotta get out

Whitney
A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW