Today's menu is: Delicious, and a great Autumn meal.
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 slice onion
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste
- 3 Tablespoons Basil, use as needed
- Saute in a frying pan lots of chopped garlic in olive oil and then add the chopped onions (2 large) and saute until tender. Add chopped tomatoes (with skin and seeds) then put it in a stock pan and bring to a boil. Then add the chicken stock and cook for about 20 minutes. Cool slightly and add fresh chopped basil (about 3 TBSP). Puree with a blender.
- In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest. Season with sugar and salt, and adjust to taste.